October 3, 2017
Nonfiction | History | Travel
Hardcover, full-color, 440 pages
Michael Collins (Dublin, Ireland)
Co-author of Journey: An Illustrated History of Travel
FULL PRESS PACK: CLICK HERE
ABOUT THE BOOK
For some 60,000 years, humans have explored the world, out of necessity and curiosity. A new book from DK, Journey: An Illustrated History of Travel, explores travel in all its varied forms. Produced in association with the Smithsonian Institution, Journey is an illustrated account of human movement, travel, exploration, and scientific discovery—from the first trade networks in ancient Sumer to the epic Voyager missions.
Human journeys arise from all manner of impulses, from migration and the search for food, to pilgrimages, trade, scientific curiosity, or simply the quest for adventure. Journey offers an in-depth exploration of more than 140 travel- related topics, from the Trans-Saharan Salt Caravans to The Railway Age to claiming the South Pole. Alongside each topic are the biographies of conquerors, explorers, and travelers; stories of technological innovation; literary journals; and works of art.
- The Ancient World: From Minoan seafarers to Polynesian navigators to the travels of Odysseus
- Trade and Conquest: The Spread of Islam, Voyages of the Vikings, The Crusades, The Silk Road, The Travels of Marco Polo
- The Age of Discovery: Ships, After Columbus, Circumnavigating the globe, Cortés and The Conquest of the Aztecs, The Discovery of the Amazon
- The Age of Empires: The Spice Trade, Coffee, The Stagecoach, First Flight
- The Age of Steam: Rediscovering Egypt, The Romantics, Into Africa, The Railway Age, The Gold Rush, Luggage Labels, The Early Alpinists, Creating the National Parks
- The Golden Age of Travel: The Bicycle Craze, Zeppelin Fever
- Gift guides: A textured cover with a picture-perfect image and shiny finishes make Journey ideal for gift-giving
AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEW
Editorial consultant Michael Collins is a native of Dublin, Ireland, where he presently lives. He has taught in a number of universities, including the American University of Rome; John Cabot University; and Duquesne University, Rome Campus. He has written several books with DK, including The Vatican, Pope Francis: A Photographic Story of the People’s Pope, and Remarkable Books: The World’s Most Beautiful and Historic Works, and publishes articles about his travels, which have a focus on archaeology, ancient cultures, and civilizations. Journey is based on an original idea by Father Michael about the history of travel.