Job Title: Book Publicist
A publicist develops and executes PR campaigns for publishing houses, independently published authors, experts and businesses. Key book genres represented include: fiction, children’s, parenting, lifestyle, selfhelp, religious, business. Position includes: executing and maintaining media relations campaigns with media results, proactive client communication, collaborating and delegating to team members.
- Selfstarter with initiative and literary creativity
- 2+ years of PR campaign management and execution
- Proactive problem solver that is solutions oriented
- Interest in books
- Positive attitude/ team player
- Understanding of Cision media database a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in social media: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
- Independently manages workflow
- Creative writer
- Write press packs, experts pages, sample media questions and media pitches.
- Manage campaign execution and client communication.
- Identify opportunities for contributed articles and tip lists for clients.
- Develop, identify and maintain relationships with the media. Pitch and secure placements in traditional and online media outlets and manage/schedule media requests for clients.
- Maintain database with media contacts and media results.
- Attend client events as needed.
- Occasional travel to attend industry conferences and media meetings to develop relationships.
- Attend client and potential client meetings (evening/weekends occasionally).
- Research media, newsworthy topics/events and angles/pitches online.
- Work closely with chief publicity strategist to craft and execute PR campaigns.
- Maintain communication with client via phone, email for monthly updates and goal setting.
- Communicate with potential leads and develop PR campaign proposals.
IT Qualifications (hardware/software/applications):
- Mobile phone (preferred – not required) – Apple 4g(iOS5) or Android 2.3(Gingerbread)
- High Speed Internet Connection (20mb down and 5mb up)
- Microsoft Office
- GoogleApps for Business (gmail, Google docs)
- Basic understanding of Google Analytics
- VOIP phone system
- Mac or PC basic skills
Publicist Skill Sets:
- Carry out solo regional/local media meetings
- Good communicator/ relational
- High level PR knowledge
- Book industry knowledge
- Consistent local/regional/quality/notable media hits
- Exceptionally creative hooks/angles/proposals/press releases/pitches
- Attend conferences/industry meetings/panels, as needed
- Primarily executes B/C media relations campaigns and blog tour/online media campaigns
- Sales development write proposals for B/C clients
- Self-directed workflow within scope of work
- Attempts to proactively solve problems
- Solutions capable/limited solutions oriented execution
- Adheres to company policy and procedures
- Independently manages workflow within scope
- Delegates to Assistant Publicist, support staff and interns
- Able to regularly spot and resolve client/campaign issues
- Consistently contributes at strategy sessions
- Vocal and active at team meetings and other company functions
- Mentors assistant publicists and interns on publicity knowledge/creativity, book industry knowledge, professionalism and company culture
- Inspires confidence and high level of trust with clients
- Needs limited assistance at understanding and communicating clients’ message
PR by the Book, LLC is a boutique publicity firm specializing in literary media relations campaigns, social media campaigns, publishing consultation, small business publicity, and publicity tours for authors and experts. We pride ourselves in offering a lifestyle company culture which includes a flexible schedule, competitive benefit package including health insurance, virtual office and coworking options.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.