Paperback, 230 Pages
Nielsen Career Press, Chicago
Sheila Markin Nielsen (Chicago, IL )
Career Counselor, Lawyer and author of Job Quest: How to Become the Insider Who Gets Hired
FULL PRESS PACK: CLICK HERE
WHY YOU’RE BOOKING HER
- Her advice is direct, practical and wise, based on over 25 years of professional counseling experience
- She has assisted over 3,500 professionals (and counting)
- She brings a thoughtful and engaging approach to the job search
- Her techniques are valuable to professionals of any age
- She is the author of the highly rated Job Quest for Lawyers: The Essential Guide to Finding and Landing the Job You Want (American Bar Association, April 2012)
- She is the author of over 100 articles on career guidance
- Sheila’s from a family of knowledge providers, coming from the Nielsen family
EXPERTISE / TALKING POINTS
- What really happens when a job is landed by ‘luck’ (and how to create your own)
- How to prepare for your job quest—the tools, attitudes, and messaging that will lead you to the job you want
- How to map out the blueprint for your job quest
- How to get around the dragons (the resume-blocking gatekeepers) guarding the gates to the castle
- How to identify key people to connect with—your knights and wizards (natural counselors)—and what to say once you connect with them
- How to use rapid relationship and trust building to continue making connections
- How to use simple, clear tools to identify the right career direction (AIMS: Aptitude, Interest, Market Need, Skills), avoid dissatisfaction in your career (AILS: Aptitude, Interest, Lifestyle, Self-actualization), and create the unique building blocks of a successful career (Essential Elements)
- Why more magic happens in person
- How opportunism boosts your job search luck
- How trust transfers from wizards and knights to you
- How to articulate your dream and dilemma and why it is important to do so
- How to develop your core message to help your connections help you
- How generosity enhances luck and why it is a key part of the job quest
WHAT IS THE BOOK ABOUT?
The search for a job can seem daunting and downright scary. Are you wondering why no one has responded after you submitted your resume to an online portal? Or trying to figure out how a colleague got hired even though the job was never posted? In Job Quest: How to Become the Insider Who Gets Hired, career counselor Sheila Markin Nielsen reveals a secret: the people who get hired are often the ones who have personal connections to the workplace. Nielsen provides concrete, easy-to-follow steps that enable readers to create such personal connections and quickly build relationships and trust to land the job they target. By making the process into a game and using an analogy of a medieval quest, Nielsen makes the process of rapid relationship and trust building come alive. She shows how to create your own luck, how to prepare for the quest, how to get around the resume-blocking gatekeepers (the dragons who guard the hiring managers), how to find key people to connect with (your knights and wizards), what to say once you connect with them, and how to interview, advocate for yourself and how important it is to give back to your connections. She also provides a summary of the four overarching quest concepts, the common pitfalls, and narratives from successful quests.
WHO IS SHEILA MARKIN NIELSEN?
Sheila Markin Nielsen is career counselor with more than 25 years of experience helping clients land the jobs they target. After years of work as a criminal prosecutor—first as an Assistant State’s Attorney and then an Assistant United States Attorney—and with a master’s degree in social work, Nielsen opened up her own firm in 1999. She has assisted over 3,500 professionals with career search and development.
Companies and private clients rely on Nielsen Career Consulting for hard and soft skills training, executive coaching, and outplacement services. She helps clients with issues such as career direction, career transition, and dealing with politically complex workplace situations.
Nielsen is a popular public speaker and writer, having published over 100 articles on career guidance. She is also the author of the highly-rated Job Quest for Lawyers: The Essential Guide to Finding and Landing the Job You Want (American Bar Association, April 2012).