Simple Fly Fishing
April 8, 2014
Paperback, 144 pages
FULL PRESS RELEASE: CLICK HERE
Authors of Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod & Reel
Yvon Chouinard (Ventura, CA)
- Noted environmentalist and fly fisherman – Fly, Rod, and Reel’s 2009 “Angler of the Year”
- Founder/owner of Patagonia, Inc.
- Cofounded, with Craig Mathews, 1 Percent for The Planet, a group of businesses giving back to the environment
- Bestselling author – Simple Fly Fishing is his third book and first release in the hunting and fishing genre.
Craig Mathews (Madison Valley, MT)
- Founder/owner of Blue Ribbon Flies, a retail fly-fishing outfitter in West Yellowstone, MT
- Has authored five books on fly-fishing in the western U.S. and Yellowstone National Park
- Renowned as an expert fly fishing guide
Mauro Mazzo (Milan, Italy)
- FFF Certified Master and THCI Casting Instructor
- Writes and photographs on a regular basis for European fly-fishing magazines
- Has fished around the globe from the Italian Alps to Himachal Pradesh, from Cuba to the Kola Peninsula
ABOUT THE BOOK
Modern-day fly fishing, like much in life, has become exceedingly complex, with high-tech gear, a confusing array of flies and terminal tackle, accompanied by high-priced fishing guides.
But in a long-anticipated book, Simple Fly Fishing (April 2014), Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard joins noted fly fishermen Mauro Mazzo and Craig Mathews to reveal the best way to catch trout: simply, with a rod and a fly and not much else.
The wisdom in the book comes from a simpler time when the premise was the more you know, the less you need. It introduces modern-day readers—beginner anglers to master fishermen—to the techniques based on Tenkara fishing, which relies less on equipment and more on how to discover where the fish are, at what depth, and what they are feeding on. Then it describes the practices needed to present a fly at that depth, make it look lifelike, and hook the fish.
“This is a book for the young person who has wanted to learn, but is intimidated by the complexity, elitism, and expense of the sport,” says Chouinard, a Tenkara enthusiast. “For the woman and her daughter who are put off by the image of the testosterone fueled good old boy bass and trout fisherman who turned the ‘contemplative pastime’ into a competitive combat sport. And for the long time angler who has everything and wants to replace all that stuff with skill, knowledge, and simplicity.”
With chapters on wet flies, nymphs, and dry flies, the authors employ both the Tenkara rod as well as regular fly fishing gear to cover all the bases. Illustrated by renowned fish artist James Prosek, with inspiring photographs and stories throughout, Simple Fly Fishing reveals the secrets and the soul of this captivating sport.